Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Confession: I've Fallen Off The Wagon

Confession time. Today was the first time I've run since my 5K on July 4th. I'm also feeling extremely guilty about it, but it felt amazing to get out and move today!! I was able to meet up with the rest of Team RWB for our weekly run, and it was nice to see some new faces (They've belonged to the group longer than I have, but it was the first time I've met them)!

(Finally got my Team RWB shirt!)

(Today was my first run with my Nike+ Sportwatch!)

Any way, let me get back to explaining why I fell off the wagon. Let's rewind and review the past week and a half.

Monday, Nita and I had fully planned on running our 9 mile training run, but that ended up getting cancelled. I should have run it by myself, but I didn't. I really have no good excuse for that.

Tuesday while at work, I received a call from my Cardiologist. He had presented my case, and most recent testing (echo and metabolic stress test) to a panel of cardiologists and surgeons in the area, so he called to give me the results of the conference. That, however, is another story for another day. Nita also came over for dinner, so we relaxed and hung out.

Wednesday, I was unable to make it to the Team RWB meet up, so I didn't run that day, and to be perfectly honest, I have completely forgot what I did on Thursday. Then I went to my parents this past weekend. I would have run on Sunday, but there were some serious thunder storms at my parents, so Coco and I hibernated.

Now for the main reason why I've not been running as much. From this point on, I'm pretty much kissing the rest of my summer goodbye (I know that sounds completely depressing). I say that because I will be studying nearly every night for another board exam (which is also what I did for a majority of the weekend while at my parents).

Currently, I'm sitting in my home dog less. It's a strange feeling. Coco is currently at my parents house for a 3 month "vacation" while I study. The house is completely silent, and I no longer have my little shadow following me all over. Not to mention, that when I wake up in the middle of the night and she's not next to me, I have a miniature panic attack before I put two and two together. I know it sounds like a strange idea, to send my dog to my parents so I can study, but in my mind, it's only fair to her. Sure I miss her A LOT, but it's not fair to her if I can't give her the attention she deserves while I study for my exam. I know my parents will spoil her, and she won't want to come home.

Studying for my exam has put an extra bump in my training. Now I have two very important events fighting for my free time. I know to be successful, I need to make time for both. Unfortunately, lately, studying has dominated a majority of my free time in the evenings. In the past for my previous two board exams, I have literally given up everything in my life to study because in my mind, failure is not an option (more or less because I do not want to pay for the exam again)! Let's just say the last time I studied for a board exam (nearly 3 years ago), I was so stressed out I gave myself hives all over my torso and back (sorry if that's TMI). I have NEVER done that to myself before! I know this time around, I need to find a balance between training and studying to keep my stress level to a minimum. We'll see how well this all goes.

(Let the games begin!)

QOTD: Have you ever fallen off the "running wagon?" Have you ever had difficulty finding a balance between two important passions in your life?


  1. I've fallen off the wagon MANY times! I always hate how hard it is to get back at it would think I would learn my lesson!!

    Sounds like you are going to have a busy couple of weeks studying!! Good luck with your boards...I'm sure you will do great!!


    1. Thanks, Heather!! That's the one thing I don't want to happen. I've worked too hard to lose everything I've gained! :)